Tax preparation for daycare providers About Family Child Care Taxes Payroll Service for child care providers Tax Tips Blog Make Payments Tax Tips en espaŮol Contact Us

How to Find a Tax Preparer
Advice for Family Child Care Providers

Is your tax preparer familiar with child care tax rules?

The fact of the matter is that there are not nearly enough tax professionals out there with a good understanding of child care taxes. If you are a child care provider looking for help at tax time, this can be very frustrating.

This article provides suggestions for providers who are searching for a tax preparer. It also points to some questions you can ask your current or prospective preparer to judge their familiarity with family child care tax rules.

California day care providers interested in working with me can visit the Family Child Care Taxes homepage to find out if I am currently taking new income tax clients.


Tax preparer credentials:

Tax professionals come with a variety of credentials. You can choose between an Enrolled Agent, a CPA, or other tax professional. To obtain their credential, Enrolled Agents must pass a rigorous test administered by the Internal Revenue Service covering all areas of taxation. CPAs are tested at the state level. Their test focuses partly on taxes and partly on other areas of accounting.

Having credentials does not guarantee experience with family child care tax issues, but there is one big advantage to working with an Enrolled Agent or a CPA. These professionals can represent you if you are audited or receive a notice from the Internal Revenue Service or other tax agency. With your written permission, they can deal directly with the IRS on your behalf. Other tax professionals can't do this.

Here is some information from the California Franchise Tax Board to help you choose carefully.

Tax preparer directories:

Here are a few directories to help with your search for a tax preparer:

IRS Directory of Federal Tax Return Preparers

National Association of Tax Professionals

National Association of Enrolled Agents

California Society of Enrolled Agents

Questions to ask:

No matter what type of tax professional you work with, the most important thing is familiarity with family child care tax rules.

Though it may feel awkward, be prepared to ask a number of questions. That is the only way to get an idea how much experience and expertise the person has with the unique family child care tax rules. Tom Copeland writes about these special rules and suggests some questions in his Questions to Ask Your Tax Professional blog post. Here are some other questions you can ask.

You should also ask whether the tax preparer provides depreciation schedules with every completed tax return (the copy for your records). I suggest that you avoid any preparers who don't.

Here's a very important question: Will you be signing my tax return as the preparer? Do not work with anyone who refuses to sign your tax return. That means they are not a real professional.

Interview several tax professionals and do it during the off season, if you can. It's important to find someone who communicates and answers your questions. If it is tax time already, you probably won't get an extensive interview before you have to make up your mind. Decide on someone and hope for the best. Remember that you can switch preparers if you are unhappy with the person you choose. Too many people stick with their tax preparer even when they are dissatisfied. (Sometimes very dissatisfied!) If your gut tells you it is time to change, then do so.

It will be your job to know enough to work with the person you choose and educate them on day care tax issues, if necessary. Too many family child care tax returns contain blatant errors that the provider should have detected. Check over your completed tax return carefully. Ask questions if something doesn't look right to you. You sign the tax return and you are responsible for its contents. Most importantly, you pay the price if the IRS doesn't like what they see!

Use Publications from Tom Copeland to educate yourself. His Tax Companion is specifically geared to helping you work with a tax professional and feel confident that they are handling your tax issues correctly.

Be sure to attend any tax workshops offered in your area and do it every year, if they are offered. Learning about taxes takes time and repetition. Check out Tom Copeland's live and online training schedule. If you are lucky, you will have the opportunity to attend a local tax workshop with Tom. He travels extensively and also makes himself available to answer questions from providers, tax professionals and others. If you ever want to double check something your tax preparer is doing and can't find the answer yourself, you can reach Tom at 651-280-5991 or

Lastly, to emphasize something I said earlier: If you are dissatisfied with your tax preparer for any reason, find a new one. Personality mismatch, non-responsive, it doesn't matter why. Listen to your intuition if you feel that it is time to make a change, especially if you suspect that your tax return contains errors.

Good luck! It really is important to find a good person to work with, someone who will calculate the lowest, correct tax and help you avoid penalties and stay out of trouble with the IRS. You'll have peace of mind today and down the road.

Last updated 12 February 2015

Bookmark and Share

Posted on 2008-01-31 23:36:55

2016 FCC Payroll Promotion

Do you have an employee claiming complete exemption from income tax withholding?

California Paid Sick Leave

FCC Payroll Late Reporting

IRS Relaxes Rules Regarding Depreciable Property

Additional FUTA Tax Payable in January 2014

Child Care Business Liability Insurance is a Must

Minimum Wage & Sick Leave Laws in California

Are Holiday and/or Vacation Pay Required?

Small Business Health Care Tax Credit

ObamaCare: Health Coverage Info for Employees

Here Comes Healthcare Reform

The Redleaf Complete Forms Kit on CD

Saving for Retirement with a SIMPLE IRA

Hiring and sometimes, unfortunately.....Firing

A helpful Hiring Guide for California child care providers

Tax rates were scheduled to rise for all taxpayers on January 1, 2013 . . .

Franchise Tax Board backtracks on property tax initiative

An easy way to pay California use tax?

Is a tax id number is needed to claim the Dependent Care Credit?

Hardship prevents some parents from paying their bill

Day Care Record Keeping 101 - a quick reference guide

How long should you save tax records?

Giving Gifts to Employees

Keep Track of Your Use Tax Purchases

The Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction is a Wonderful Thing!

A New Barrage of Fake IRS Emails with Dangerous Links

Her Employee Just Got Married

Catching Up on Missed Home Depreciation

DayCare Providers: Should you set your business up as an LLC?

The Importance of Good Record Keeping

Are my education costs deductible? Can I count the class and homework time?

How much of this provider's cable/internet/phone service is deductible?

Provider's teenage children work in her business

Are his fiancee's property taxes an allowable business expense?

What is the cost of two part-time employees?

Summertime = Fix Up Time

Pesticides Are Poison

California Requirement: High income businesses must pay "use tax" online

Daycare worker wants to be an independent contractor

Child Care Provider's Own Children

Child care provider shocked at what she owes

Make Estimated Tax Payments Your First Priority

Protect Yourself from Calamity

Think it won't matter that much if you treat your worker as an independent contractor instead of an employee?

Treating your assistants as proper employees

Is the care provider's tax id needed for dependent care benefit plan participation?

CA Providers: Pay your workers more than once per month

Must daycare providers pay back their First-Time Homebuyer Credit?

Bonus Depreciation Rule extended for 2010

Tax Preparation Services

Foreclosures and Cancellation of Debt

FCC Payroll Account Set Up

Mother wants to claim the dependent care credit

Provider's income seems too low

How Much Will an Employee Cost You?

Employee transitioning to day care

Swapping free rent for child care help?

The Food Program Gives You Extra Income

Running a daycare business out of two homes?

What is my total out-of-pocket expense for wages of $500 per week?

2010 Federal HIRE Act

Low profit leads to trouble getting a bank loan

Should you do anything with personal grocery receipts?

Is Your Tax Preparer Familiar with Child Care Tax Rules?

Always Deduct Home Depreciation

Depreciation Schedules

The Time/Space Percentage May Not Be Right for Every Home Deduction

Why Don't You Ask for Outside Space Measurements?

Gifts for Volunteer Helpers?

Meal Rates Also Apply to Restaurant Meals

Here's how to request a child care provider's tax id number

What to do if a parent gives you a 1099

The Business % on Form 8829 Affects Many Day Care Business Expenses

An Exclusive-Use Room Will Increase Your Business Percentage

Energy Credit Limitation Will Affect Child Care Providers

A child care provider is concerned for a colleague with family helpers

Child Care Business Education Resources

Alison hears from a child care helper being treated as an independent contractor

How to Promote Your Business During a Recession

Should this parent give her child care provider a 1099 or a W-2?

IRS Reminds Car Shoppers about 2009 Tax Break

Advice for Out-of-State Daycare Provider

Can I write off a large vehicle as a business expense?

Question about categorizing shopping receipts

Ever Wonder if Your Microwave Oven Leaks Radiation?

Ignore Phony Social Security Administration E-Mails

FCC Payroll Service: Full Service at a Low Cost

Protect Children from the Dangers of Cell Phones

Want a Website Someday?

Hosting a Holiday Party for Business Purposes?

1099 Child Care Helpers Are Rare

Quarterly Estimated Tax Payment Due Dates

Make Estimated Tax Payments

Providers who are not licensed may miss out on the home expense deduction

Meal rates set in July are used to calculate food deductions for the following year

Visa holder wants to start a family child care

First-Time Homebuyer Credit

Cash for Clunkers signed into law on June 24, 2009

Making Work Pay Credit

Unemployment Benefits May Be Tax-Free in 2009

American Opportunity Tax Credit

Deduction for Sales Tax on New Motor Vehicles

Certain Family Employees = Lower Payroll Taxes

Required Minimum Distributions Waived for 2009

Energy Credit for Home Improvements

Energy Credit for Solar Property

What's the best software for our daycare business?

How should providers go about getting health insurance coverage?

Can providers write off payments to child helpers?

Wife earned $1,325 caring for children in 2008

Alison answers Michael Finney's childcare tax questions on "The View from the Bay"

How does this babysitter file her taxes without a W-2 or 1099?

Can I deduct the cost of items purchased before I got my license?

How do child care partners split the home deductions?

More than one car and other business auto concerns

Do I have to give out my tax id number and/or a total to parents?

Obtaining workers' compensation coverage

Give your Tax ID Number to Parents using Form W-10

Should I file separately from my spouse?

1099-MISC Forms are a Snap to Prepare

Aren't 1099-MISC forms due by January 31?

Workers' Compensation Insurance

Beware of Your Rights Before the IRS

Standard Mileage Rates for 2006 through 2016

Respond Quickly to IRS Notices

Child Care Providers Should Take a Home Inventory

Gifts From Parents May Be Taxable Income

Child Care Business Licenses

Child Care Workers are Almost Always Employees

Retirement Plan and IRA Contribution Limits

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Track Child Care Work Hours in the Home

Standard Meal Rates for Family Child Care Providers

Standard Meal Rates for Residents of Alaska

Standard Meal Rates for Residents of Hawaii

Summer 2008 Quick Tax Tips

Do You Have Debt Forgiveness?

Federal Housing Bill Passes on June 30, 2008

New Rule Will Result in More Taxable Home Sales

Take Advantage of Tax Savings in a Down Market

Converting a Traditional IRA to a Roth?

Health Savings Account Contribution Limits

My Letter to New Family Child Care Providers

IRS Rebate Payment Schedule Available

What About Giving 1099s for Household Services?

How to Find a Tax Preparer

Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Government Loses Billions as Sole Proprietors Underreport Their Income

Daycare Providers: Should You Incorporate?

Lessons in Back-to-School Tax Breaks

Child Care Tax Return Checklist

Child Care Providers and other Sole Proprietors: Get an EIN

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Here's a Tip: All Tips Are Taxable

Plan Now, Avoid High Taxes Later

E-mails From the IRS? Be Skeptical

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Payroll Tax Guide for Daycare Providers and Other Small Business Owners

When an Employer Pays 100% of Payroll Taxes

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Tax Realities of Renting Your Vacation Home

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Protect Your Charitable Deductions

Special Needs = Special Tax Awareness

Educator Expense Deduction Still Available for 2013

Family Child Care Provider Fights Back in IRS Audit

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Careful Recordkeeping = Big Tax Deductions

California State Disability Insurance Rates

Receipts Now Required for All Charitable Contributions

Family Child Care Taxes - Frequently Asked Questions

Tom Copeland Bio and Contact info
Tom Copeland is the nation's leading trainer, author, and advocate of business practices for family child care providers.
National Association for Family Child Care (NAFCC)
NAFCC 2011 Annual Conference
July 21-23, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
California Association for Family Child Care (CAFCC)

CAFCC 2011 Annual Conference
April 29-May 1, 2011
at the Embassy Suites
Milpitas, Silicon Valley

Community Child Care Coordinating (4C's) of Alameda County
Salvation Army Charitable Goods Valuation Guide
Franchise Tax Board Forms & Publications
IRS Forms and Publications
NAEA Tax Links
All State Tax Links
NATP Tax Links
Resources for Child Caring (formerly the Redleaf National Institute)
Internal Revenue Service
California Franchise Tax Board
Bay Area Cajun Zydeco Dance Calendar


Untitled Document

© 2010, All Rights Reserved Alison T. Jacks / Family Child Care Taxes

Alison T. Jacks is an Enrolled Agent specializing in tax preparation and payroll services for California family child care providers. A graduate of the University of California, Berkeley, she is dedicated to effective client communication and attention to detail. Alison has a diverse clientele, but since 2007, she has been accepting child care provider clients only. The FCC Payroll Service was launched in 2010 to meet the needs of preschool and day care employers.

Alison is located in San Francisco East Bay City of Fremont, but she works with clients living throughout Central, Southern, and Northern California. She is a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals.

Website by Cooksey-Talbott Studio.

Special thanks to Cooksey-Talbott for his photographs of the Fremont Hills.