Tax preparation for daycare providers About Family Child Care Taxes Payroll Service for child care providers Tax Tips Blog Make Payments Tax Tips en espaŮol Contact Us

My Letter to New Family Child Care Providers
Dear Provider:
I am an Enrolled Agent in private practice since 1995. My first job out of college was as a software engineer, followed by some years when I stayed home with my two sons. At that time I used the services of a wonderful child care provider and when I started working in the tax field, she put me in touch with her local child care association. Eventually, working with day care providers became the focus of my tax practice. I provide income tax and payroll services for clients from all over California out of my home office in the San Francisco Bay Area city of Fremont.

Enrolled Agent status is the highest credential awarded by the Internal Revenue Service, following a rigorous testing process. EAs prepare tax returns and also represent taxpayers. If you receive a notice or are under audit by the IRS, an Enrolled Agent can work directly with IRS personnel on your behalf to achieve the best possible outcome.

Child care providers need specialized care. Most tax professionals (even experienced ones) are unfamiliar with the nuances of day care taxes. I see many tax returns with both large and small errors that cause the provider to pay more tax than necessary or leave the provider in a risky position in case of an audit. Educating yourself is a must, as is finding the right tax professional.

The rest of this letter contains pointers that will get you off on the right foot with your record keeping and be ready for tax time.


As a new child care provider, you will find there is much to learn about managing your business. My first recommendation is to waste no time becoming acquainted with Tom Copeland. Tom is the national authority on the business of family child care with over 30 years experience. He has published many helpful family child care publications. All providers should have a copy of his Family Child Care Record-Keeping Guide. Subscribe to Tom's blog--his regular posts contain very valuable information--and check out Tom's training schedule. He offers webinars that you can attend via your home computer, though if you are able to attend an in-person workshop, you won't be disappointed!

From a tax perspective, your main focus should be getting a good record keeping system into place. Income tax will apply only to your business profit, which means income minus allowable expenses (including allowable home expenses). Therefore, carefully saving all receipts and recording all expenses is important. Even if you haven't started caring for children yet, keep track of the costs involved in getting your business started. Besides tracking expenses, you need a system to keep track of your work time. This means time spent in your home either caring for children or doing other business-related activities.

New child care providers may want to do a household inventory before the end of the year. This will allow you to take a tax deduction based on the value of your existing household furnishings and other personal property owned at the time you started your business. Using the Tom Copeland's Inventory-Keeper Booklet will help you do a thorough inventory, but you can document your household items any way you choose. The inventory should be done in the first year of business, so act now to take advantage of this tax deduction. It is possible for established providers to catch up on missed household inventory depreciation, but the tax preparation cost is much higher and you cannot include any items that you no longer own.

Most family child care providers are sole proprietors, meaning you are the self-employed sole owner of the business. For income tax purposes, I work with sole proprietors only, no corporations or partnerships. I have a few clients who have set up their business as a single-member Limited Liability Company (LLC) and, therefore, still file their tax return as a sole proprietor. Please review your options carefully and seek legal advice before setting up any type of business entity. Several of my clients have dissolved their LLC status because it did not seem worth the annual cost.

Business owners must generally make estimated tax payments to cover their tax liability or risk ending up with a large balance due at tax time and potentially also an "underpayment penalty." The government requires taxpayers to pay-as-you-go and not wait until the end of the year or until April 15 to pay income tax and self-employment tax. (See my Family Child Care Tax Return Overview handout for more information regarding the type of taxes that apply to your income.) If you are married and file jointly with your spouse, the income tax withholding from your spouse's wages might be enough to cover your taxes, too. This is not always the case, however.

Good luck with your business. There are a lot of things to learn about in the beginning, but it gets easier. Find and join a local family child care association so you can network and learn from experienced providers. Get the resources of a large national organization behind you by joining the National Association for Family Child Care.

Please "Like" my Facebook Page to receive further communications from me on topics of interest to family child care providers.


Alison T. Jacks, E.A.

P.S. Here is some additional information which you may find helpful:

Alison's Frequently Asked Questions

Payroll Tax Guide for Daycare Providers

Child Care Tax Return Checklist, a list of the information needed to prepare a family child care tax return.

Child Care Business Licenses

Start-Up Costs

Time/Space Percentage Calculation

Day Care Record Keeping 101, a quick reference guide for family child care providers.

Sharon Coleman's "The Professional Provider", an informative book with a wealth of information for new child care providers.

How to Find a Tax Preparer


Family Child Care Tax Return Overview

Family Child Care Tax Deductions

Envelope Record-Keeping Method for Child Care Providers

Handouts in Spanish:

Spanish Family Child Care Tax Return Overview

Spanish Family Child Care Tax Deductions

Spanish Time/Space Percentage Calculation

And don't forget the wealth of information published by Tom Copeland and mentioned at the top of this article.

Last updated: 14 May 2013

Bookmark and Share

Posted on 2008-05-06 06:10:37

Most Employees are Subject to Overtime Rules

Do you have an employee claiming complete exemption from income tax withholding?

California Paid Sick Leave

FCC Payroll Late Reporting

IRS Relaxes Rules Regarding Depreciable Property

California is Still a FUTA Credit Reduction State

Child Care Business Liability Insurance is a Must

Minimum Wage Laws in California

Are Holiday and/or Vacation Pay Required?

Small Business Health Care Tax Credit

ObamaCare: Health Coverage Info for Employees

Here Comes Healthcare Reform

The Redleaf Complete Forms Kit on CD

Saving for Retirement with a SIMPLE IRA

Hiring and sometimes, unfortunately.....Firing

A helpful Hiring Guide for California child care providers

Tax rates were scheduled to rise for all taxpayers on January 1, 2013 . . .

Franchise Tax Board backtracks on property tax initiative

An easy way to pay California use tax?

Is a tax id number is needed to claim the Dependent Care Credit?

Hardship prevents some parents from paying their bill

How long should you save tax records?

Giving Gifts to Employees

Keep Track of Your Use Tax Purchases

The Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction is a Wonderful Thing!

A New Barrage of Fake IRS Emails with Dangerous Links

Her Employee Just Got Married

Catching Up on Missed Home Depreciation

DayCare Providers: Should you set your business up as an LLC?

The Importance of Good Record Keeping

Are my education costs deductible? Can I count the class and homework time?

How much of this provider's cable/internet/phone service is deductible?

Provider's teenage children work in her business

Are his fiancee's property taxes an allowable business expense?

What is the cost of two part-time employees?

Summertime = Fix Up Time

Pesticides Are Poison

California Requirement: High income businesses must pay "use tax" online

Daycare worker wants to be an independent contractor

Child Care Provider's Own Children

Child care provider shocked at what she owes

Make Estimated Tax Payments Your First Priority

Protect Yourself from Calamity

Think it won't matter that much if you treat your worker as an independent contractor instead of an employee?

Treating your assistants as proper employees

Is the care provider's tax id needed for dependent care benefit plan participation?

CA Providers: Pay your workers more than once per month

Must daycare providers pay back their First-Time Homebuyer Credit?

Bonus Depreciation Rule extended for 2010

Tax Services

Foreclosures and Cancellation of Debt

FCC Payroll Account Set Up

Mother wants to claim the dependent care credit

Provider's income seems too low

How Much Will an Employee Cost You?

Employee transitioning to day care

Swapping free rent for child care help?

The Food Program Gives You Extra Income

Running a daycare business out of two homes?

What is my total out-of-pocket expense for wages of $500 per week?

2010 Federal HIRE Act

Low profit leads to trouble getting a bank loan

Should you do anything with personal grocery receipts?

Is Your Tax Preparer Familiar with Child Care Tax Rules?

Always Deduct Home Depreciation

Depreciation Schedules

The Time/Space Percentage May Not Be Right for Every Home Deduction

Why Don't You Ask for Outside Space Measurements?

Gifts for Volunteer Helpers?

Meal Rates Also Apply to Restaurant Meals

Here's how to request a child care provider's tax id number

What to do if a parent gives you a 1099

The Business % on Form 8829 Affects Many Day Care Business Expenses

An Exclusive-Use Room Will Increase Your Business Percentage

Energy Credit Limitation Will Affect Child Care Providers

A child care provider is concerned for a colleague with family helpers

Child Care Business Education Resources

Alison hears from a child care helper being treated as an independent contractor

How to Promote Your Business During a Recession

Should this parent give her child care provider a 1099 or a W-2?

IRS Reminds Car Shoppers about 2009 Tax Break

Advice for Out-of-State Daycare Provider

Can I write off a large vehicle as a business expense?

Question about categorizing shopping receipts

Ever Wonder if Your Microwave Oven Leaks Radiation?

Ignore Phony Social Security Administration E-Mails

FCC Payroll Service: Full Service at a Low Cost

Protect Children from the Dangers of Cell Phones

Want a Website Someday?

Hosting a Holiday Party for Business Purposes?

1099 Child Care Helpers Are Rare

Quarterly Estimated Tax Payment Due Dates

Make Estimated Tax Payments

Providers who are not licensed may miss out on the home expense deduction

Meal rates set in July are used to calculate food deductions for the following year

Visa holder wants to start a family child care

First-Time Homebuyer Credit

Cash for Clunkers signed into law on June 24, 2009

Making Work Pay Credit

Unemployment Benefits May Be Tax-Free in 2009

American Opportunity Tax Credit

Deduction for Sales Tax on New Motor Vehicles

Certain Family Employees = Lower Payroll Taxes

Required Minimum Distributions Waived for 2009

Energy Credit for Home Improvements

Energy Credit for Solar Property

What's the best software for our daycare business?

How should providers go about getting health insurance coverage?

Can providers write off payments to child helpers?

Wife earned $1,325 caring for children in 2008

Alison answers Michael Finney's childcare tax questions on "The View from the Bay"

How does this babysitter file her taxes without a W-2 or 1099?

Can I deduct the cost of items purchased before I got my license?

How do child care partners split the home deductions?

More than one car and other business auto concerns

Do I have to give out my tax id number and/or a total to parents?

Obtaining workers' compensation coverage

Give your Tax ID Number to Parents using Form W-10

Should I file separately from my spouse?

1099-MISC Forms are a Snap to Prepare

Aren't 1099-MISC forms due by January 31?

Workers' Compensation Insurance

Beware of Your Rights Before the IRS

Standard Mileage Rates for 2006 through 2018

Respond Quickly to IRS Notices

Child Care Providers Should Take a Home Inventory

Gifts From Parents May Be Taxable Income

Child Care Business Licenses

Child Care Workers are Almost Always Employees

Retirement Plan and IRA Contribution Limits

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Track Child Care Work Hours in the Home

Standard Meal Rates for Family Child Care Providers

Standard Meal Rates for Residents of Alaska

Standard Meal Rates for Residents of Hawaii

Summer 2008 Quick Tax Tips

Do You Have Debt Forgiveness?

Federal Housing Bill Passes on June 30, 2008

New Rule Will Result in More Taxable Home Sales

Take Advantage of Tax Savings in a Down Market

Converting a Traditional IRA to a Roth?

Health Savings Account Contribution Limits

My Letter to New Family Child Care Providers

IRS Rebate Payment Schedule Available

What About Giving 1099s for Household Services?

How to Find a Tax Preparer

Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Government Loses Billions as Sole Proprietors Underreport Their Income

Daycare Providers: Should You Incorporate?

Lessons in Back-to-School Tax Breaks

Child Care Tax Return Checklist

Child Care Providers and other Sole Proprietors: Get an EIN

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Here's a Tip: All Tips Are Taxable

Plan Now, Avoid High Taxes Later

E-mails From the IRS? Be Skeptical

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Payroll Tax Guide for Daycare Providers and Other Small Business Owners

When an Employer Pays 100% of Payroll Taxes

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Tax Realities of Renting Your Vacation Home

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Protect Your Charitable Deductions

Special Needs = Special Tax Awareness

Educator Expense Deduction Still Available for 2013

Family Child Care Provider Fights Back in IRS Audit

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Careful Recordkeeping = Big Tax Deductions

California State Disability Insurance Rates

Receipts Now Required for All Charitable Contributions

Family Child Care Taxes - Frequently Asked Questions

Tom Copeland Bio and Contact info
Tom Copeland is the nation's leading trainer, author, and advocate of business practices for family child care providers.
National Association for Family Child Care (NAFCC)
NAFCC 2011 Annual Conference
July 21-23, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
California Association for Family Child Care (CAFCC)

CAFCC 2011 Annual Conference
April 29-May 1, 2011
at the Embassy Suites
Milpitas, Silicon Valley

Community Child Care Coordinating (4C's) of Alameda County
Salvation Army Charitable Goods Valuation Guide
Franchise Tax Board Forms & Publications
IRS Forms and Publications
NAEA Tax Links
All State Tax Links
NATP Tax Links
Resources for Child Caring (formerly the Redleaf National Institute)
Internal Revenue Service
California Franchise Tax Board
Bay Area Cajun Zydeco Dance Calendar


© 2010, All Rights Reserved Alison T. Jacks / Family Child Care Taxes

Alison T. Jacks is an Enrolled Agent specializing in tax preparation and payroll services for California family child care providers. A graduate of the University of California, Berkeley, she is dedicated to effective client communication and attention to detail. Alison has a diverse clientele, but since 2007, she has been accepting child care provider clients only. The FCC Payroll Service was launched in 2010 to meet the needs of preschool and day care employers.

Alison is located in San Francisco East Bay City of Fremont, but she works with clients living throughout Central, Southern, and Northern California. She is a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals.

Our Privacy Policy

Website by Cooksey-Talbott Studio.

Special thanks to Cooksey-Talbott for his photographs of the Fremont Hills.