Tax preparation for daycare providers About Family Child Care Taxes Payroll Service for child care providers Tax Tips Blog Make Payments Tax Tips en espaŮol Contact Us

1099-MISC Forms are a Snap to Prepare
Order forms early...while there is still time to get them from the IRS

If you're a business owner, you must give a Form 1099-MISC to any independent contractors you paid $600 or more for services provided to your business during the year. Sending 1099s is not optional. They are mandatory, unless the service provider is a corporate entity. If your service provider happens to be an attorney, however, a 1099 is ALWAYS required, whether the attorney's business is incorporated or not.

Form 1099-MISC must be provided to your recipient contract workers by January 31. If it's February already, don't despair. Act right away and follow these special February instructions.

If you have a child care business or other business in the home, you should also give 1099s to any home service providers paid $600 or more during the year.

If you pay an independent contractor via a credit/debit card, PayPal, or other third-party payer, you should NOT issue a 1099. If one is required, the payment processor (bank, credit card company, etc.) will issue a Form 1099-K instead. (This has been the rule since 2011.)

DO NOT to give 1099s to workers who should properly be treated as your employees. Employees should be given a Form W-2 instead. Please note that day care workers are almost always employees. See my Payroll Tax Guide for further information.

Day care providers, here are some of your potential 1099 service providers: house cleaners, yard workers, music or language teachers, tutors, storytellers, and bookkeepers.....folks with special skills who were paid to provide home or business services with little direction from you. This does NOT include assistants who help care for children.

Luckily, 1099s are quite easy to prepare. If you take action at the beginning of the year, you can get the forms and prepare them yourself for free.


Consequences of not filing 1099s

What if you pay $600 or more to some service providers and you do NOT file the required 1099-MISC forms? If you are audited, the Internal Revenue Service could fine you $100, or up to $250, if they believe your failure to file the 1099 was due to intentional disregard of the law. The IRS could also try to deny the income tax deduction. However, if you can prove that you paid the amount you claim on your tax return, and show that it is a valid business expense, you are entitled to the deduction. The auditor will want the name and contact information of the service provider.

California residents: The Franchise Tax Board, unlike the IRS, MAY DISALLOW a California income tax deduction for amounts paid to a service provider if you fail to report the payments on either a Form W-2 or a Form 1099-MISC.

Getting the Necessary Forms

If you are reading this no later than about January 15, there should be time to order the forms you need directly from the Internal Revenue Service for free. (The forms are scannable and cannot be downloaded.) It should take between 7 and 14 days to receive them if you order today. You can call the IRS forms number at 800-829-3676 or you can go to this special IRS online order page for information returns. (A 1099 is a type of information return.)

If it is past January 15, I recommend that you buy some 1099 forms at a local office supply store. You can still try to get them from the IRS, but it's getting late. If the IRS forms don't come before January 31, you may be stuck, because office supply stores commonly run out of 1099s by then. At least, that's what happens where I live. If you go shopping for forms, be sure to buy the 1099-MISC forms labeled "4-part continuous," if you want to fill them out by hand. Other types of 1099 forms are sold for use with software.

When ordering forms from the IRS, request three copies of the Form 1096 Transmittal Page. Also request a minimum of three copies of Form 1099-MISC. If you are preparing more than three 1099s, order one Form 1099-MISC for each of your 1099 service providers. This is enough so that you can mess up a few forms and still be okay. You only need to prepare one final Form 1096 and, in fact, the 1099-MISC forms have two forms per page, so you're getting more than you really need. When buying forms at the store, I generally look for the smallest package of 4-part continuous 1099-MISC forms available. The package will also include several 1096 forms.

Getting the Necessary Information

If you don't have a service provider's tax id number, now is the time to get it. You will need their full legal name and mailing address, too. To get this information, ask the service provider to fill out a Form W-9. (There is also a Spanish Form W-9 available.) If they refuse, refer to this advice from Tax Mama Eva Rosenberg, which includes the possibility of filing a 1099 without the contractor's tax id number.

Get in the habit of requiring all 1099 service providers to fill out a Form W-9 when you engage them and, if possible, avoid paying them until the completed form is returned. This is the only way to ensure your ability to prepare a 1099. If certain service providers remain uncooperative, you should look elsewhere for help.

Preparing Form 1099-MISC

This is a 4-part carbonless form. Press hard so that what you write is legible all the way through.

Enter your name, address and phone number in the PAYER'S box at the top. Enter your tax id number in the PAYER'S federal id number box. This means your Employer ID Number (EIN) or your social security number. If you are a sole proprietor without an EIN, be aware that it only takes a few minutes to get an EIN from the IRS. I highly recommend that you use an EIN on your 1099s and protect the privacy of your social security number.

Enter the worker's information in the RECIPIENT'S id number, name and address boxes. Then enter the dollar amount paid to the person during the year in box 7, labeled "nonemployee compensation."

Fill out one 1099-MISC for each of your service providers. The form covers half of the page, so you can put two service providers' information on each sheet.

Preparing Form 1096

This is a single sheet transmittal form. You send one Form 1096 with all of your 1099-MISC forms.

Enter your name and address in the FILER'S box at the top. Enter your name as "person to contact" and enter your phone number in the appropriate box. Include an email address or fax number if you want to.

If you have an EIN, enter it in box 1. If not, enter your social security number in box 2.

Enter the number of 1099-MISC forms you prepared in box 3. This means the number of individual 1099-MISC forms prepared, not the number of 1099-MISC pages. (Remember? There are two 1099-MISC forms on each page.)

Finally, total up the amounts shown in box 7 of all your 1099-MISC forms and enter it in box 5 on the 1096. Enter an "X" in the box for "1099-MISC," from among all the checkbox choices shown. Sign and date the Form 1096. If you are a sole proprietor business owner (which includes most family child care providers), enter "owner" as your title.

Preparing the forms for mailing

Now it's time to separate the carbonless pages of each Form 1099-MISC. On top is the scannable red form that goes to the IRS. Do not cut the red forms apart. Leave the full sheets intact and set them aside for now. Next comes Copy 1 (for your state tax department, if necessary--you won't need it if you are a California resident), Copy B (for the recipient), Copy 2 (for recipient's state taxes, if necessary) and Copy C (for the payer, which is you).

After you have separated all four of the carbonless copies, send Copy B and Copy 2 to the recipients (your workers) by January 31. Keep Copy C for your records. If possible, I recommend that you also make a copy of the red 1099-MISC for your records, because the carbonless copies are often hard to read. Make a copy of the 1096 form for your records, as well.

Put the red 1096 and the red 1099-MISC forms in a large envelope. Do not fold, staple or mutilate them! Don't even use a paper clip. Send them flat to the Internal Revenue Service Center address for your state, as shown under "Where To File" in the 1096 instructions printed on the bottom of the form.

Mail the forms to the IRS postmarked no later than February 28. (Even if it's a leap year.)

Here is a link to the 1099-MISC instructions for additional guidance.

Last update: 23 January 2014

Bookmark and Share

Posted on 2009-01-05 00:22:05

Most Employees are Subject to Overtime Rules

Do you have an employee claiming complete exemption from income tax withholding?

California Paid Sick Leave

FCC Payroll Late Reporting

IRS Relaxes Rules Regarding Depreciable Property

California is Still a FUTA Credit Reduction State

Child Care Business Liability Insurance is a Must

Minimum Wage Laws in California

Are Holiday and/or Vacation Pay Required?

Small Business Health Care Tax Credit

ObamaCare: Health Coverage Info for Employees

Here Comes Healthcare Reform

The Redleaf Complete Forms Kit on CD

Saving for Retirement with a SIMPLE IRA

Hiring and sometimes, unfortunately.....Firing

A helpful Hiring Guide for California child care providers

Tax rates were scheduled to rise for all taxpayers on January 1, 2013 . . .

Franchise Tax Board backtracks on property tax initiative

An easy way to pay California use tax?

Is a tax id number is needed to claim the Dependent Care Credit?

Hardship prevents some parents from paying their bill

How long should you save tax records?

Giving Gifts to Employees

Keep Track of Your Use Tax Purchases

The Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction is a Wonderful Thing!

A New Barrage of Fake IRS Emails with Dangerous Links

Her Employee Just Got Married

Catching Up on Missed Home Depreciation

DayCare Providers: Should you set your business up as an LLC?

The Importance of Good Record Keeping

Are my education costs deductible? Can I count the class and homework time?

How much of this provider's cable/internet/phone service is deductible?

Provider's teenage children work in her business

Are his fiancee's property taxes an allowable business expense?

What is the cost of two part-time employees?

Summertime = Fix Up Time

Pesticides Are Poison

California Requirement: High income businesses must pay "use tax" online

Daycare worker wants to be an independent contractor

Child Care Provider's Own Children

Child care provider shocked at what she owes

Make Estimated Tax Payments Your First Priority

Protect Yourself from Calamity

Think it won't matter that much if you treat your worker as an independent contractor instead of an employee?

Treating your assistants as proper employees

Is the care provider's tax id needed for dependent care benefit plan participation?

CA Providers: Pay your workers more than once per month

Must daycare providers pay back their First-Time Homebuyer Credit?

Bonus Depreciation Rule extended for 2010

Tax Services

Foreclosures and Cancellation of Debt

FCC Payroll Account Set Up

Mother wants to claim the dependent care credit

Provider's income seems too low

How Much Will an Employee Cost You?

Employee transitioning to day care

Swapping free rent for child care help?

The Food Program Gives You Extra Income

Running a daycare business out of two homes?

What is my total out-of-pocket expense for wages of $500 per week?

2010 Federal HIRE Act

Low profit leads to trouble getting a bank loan

Should you do anything with personal grocery receipts?

Is Your Tax Preparer Familiar with Child Care Tax Rules?

Always Deduct Home Depreciation

Depreciation Schedules

The Time/Space Percentage May Not Be Right for Every Home Deduction

Why Don't You Ask for Outside Space Measurements?

Gifts for Volunteer Helpers?

Meal Rates Also Apply to Restaurant Meals

Here's how to request a child care provider's tax id number

What to do if a parent gives you a 1099

The Business % on Form 8829 Affects Many Day Care Business Expenses

An Exclusive-Use Room Will Increase Your Business Percentage

Energy Credit Limitation Will Affect Child Care Providers

A child care provider is concerned for a colleague with family helpers

Child Care Business Education Resources

Alison hears from a child care helper being treated as an independent contractor

How to Promote Your Business During a Recession

Should this parent give her child care provider a 1099 or a W-2?

IRS Reminds Car Shoppers about 2009 Tax Break

Advice for Out-of-State Daycare Provider

Can I write off a large vehicle as a business expense?

Question about categorizing shopping receipts

Ever Wonder if Your Microwave Oven Leaks Radiation?

Ignore Phony Social Security Administration E-Mails

FCC Payroll Service: Full Service at a Low Cost

Protect Children from the Dangers of Cell Phones

Want a Website Someday?

Hosting a Holiday Party for Business Purposes?

1099 Child Care Helpers Are Rare

Quarterly Estimated Tax Payment Due Dates

Make Estimated Tax Payments

Providers who are not licensed may miss out on the home expense deduction

Meal rates set in July are used to calculate food deductions for the following year

Visa holder wants to start a family child care

First-Time Homebuyer Credit

Cash for Clunkers signed into law on June 24, 2009

Making Work Pay Credit

Unemployment Benefits May Be Tax-Free in 2009

American Opportunity Tax Credit

Deduction for Sales Tax on New Motor Vehicles

Certain Family Employees = Lower Payroll Taxes

Required Minimum Distributions Waived for 2009

Energy Credit for Home Improvements

Energy Credit for Solar Property

What's the best software for our daycare business?

How should providers go about getting health insurance coverage?

Can providers write off payments to child helpers?

Wife earned $1,325 caring for children in 2008

Alison answers Michael Finney's childcare tax questions on "The View from the Bay"

How does this babysitter file her taxes without a W-2 or 1099?

Can I deduct the cost of items purchased before I got my license?

How do child care partners split the home deductions?

More than one car and other business auto concerns

Do I have to give out my tax id number and/or a total to parents?

Obtaining workers' compensation coverage

Give your Tax ID Number to Parents using Form W-10

Should I file separately from my spouse?

1099-MISC Forms are a Snap to Prepare

Aren't 1099-MISC forms due by January 31?

Workers' Compensation Insurance

Beware of Your Rights Before the IRS

Standard Mileage Rates for 2006 through 2018

Respond Quickly to IRS Notices

Child Care Providers Should Take a Home Inventory

Gifts From Parents May Be Taxable Income

Child Care Business Licenses

Child Care Workers are Almost Always Employees

Retirement Plan and IRA Contribution Limits

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Track Child Care Work Hours in the Home

Standard Meal Rates for Family Child Care Providers

Standard Meal Rates for Residents of Alaska

Standard Meal Rates for Residents of Hawaii

Summer 2008 Quick Tax Tips

Do You Have Debt Forgiveness?

Federal Housing Bill Passes on June 30, 2008

New Rule Will Result in More Taxable Home Sales

Take Advantage of Tax Savings in a Down Market

Converting a Traditional IRA to a Roth?

Health Savings Account Contribution Limits

My Letter to New Family Child Care Providers

IRS Rebate Payment Schedule Available

What About Giving 1099s for Household Services?

How to Find a Tax Preparer

Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Government Loses Billions as Sole Proprietors Underreport Their Income

Daycare Providers: Should You Incorporate?

Lessons in Back-to-School Tax Breaks

Child Care Tax Return Checklist

Child Care Providers and other Sole Proprietors: Get an EIN

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Here's a Tip: All Tips Are Taxable

Plan Now, Avoid High Taxes Later

E-mails From the IRS? Be Skeptical

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Payroll Tax Guide for Daycare Providers and Other Small Business Owners

When an Employer Pays 100% of Payroll Taxes

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Tax Realities of Renting Your Vacation Home

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Protect Your Charitable Deductions

Special Needs = Special Tax Awareness

Educator Expense Deduction Still Available for 2013

Family Child Care Provider Fights Back in IRS Audit

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Careful Recordkeeping = Big Tax Deductions

California State Disability Insurance Rates

Receipts Now Required for All Charitable Contributions

Family Child Care Taxes - Frequently Asked Questions

Tom Copeland Bio and Contact info
Tom Copeland is the nation's leading trainer, author, and advocate of business practices for family child care providers.
National Association for Family Child Care (NAFCC)
NAFCC 2011 Annual Conference
July 21-23, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
California Association for Family Child Care (CAFCC)

CAFCC 2011 Annual Conference
April 29-May 1, 2011
at the Embassy Suites
Milpitas, Silicon Valley

Community Child Care Coordinating (4C's) of Alameda County
Salvation Army Charitable Goods Valuation Guide
Franchise Tax Board Forms & Publications
IRS Forms and Publications
NAEA Tax Links
All State Tax Links
NATP Tax Links
Resources for Child Caring (formerly the Redleaf National Institute)
Internal Revenue Service
California Franchise Tax Board
Bay Area Cajun Zydeco Dance Calendar


© 2010, All Rights Reserved Alison T. Jacks / Family Child Care Taxes

Alison T. Jacks is an Enrolled Agent specializing in tax preparation and payroll services for California family child care providers. A graduate of the University of California, Berkeley, she is dedicated to effective client communication and attention to detail. Alison has a diverse clientele, but since 2007, she has been accepting child care provider clients only. The FCC Payroll Service was launched in 2010 to meet the needs of preschool and day care employers.

Alison is located in San Francisco East Bay City of Fremont, but she works with clients living throughout Central, Southern, and Northern California. She is a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals.

Our Privacy Policy

Website by Cooksey-Talbott Studio.

Special thanks to Cooksey-Talbott for his photographs of the Fremont Hills.