Daycare Tax Tips


Pesticides Are Poison

Children are more at risk than adults

Summer is here and kids are having fun outside. Ever think about pesticide use on your property?

A friend in the know clued me in a long time ago that toxins in pesticides are extremely damaging to humans. This is because bugs and humans have similar nervous systems. Who knew?

According to the Pesticide Action Network North America: When it comes to pesticides, children are among the most vulnerable. Pound for pound, they drink 2.5 times more water, eat 3-4 times more food, and breathe 2 times more air. They therefore absorb a higher concentration of pesticides than do adults.

Kids also put more things in their mouths, often wear less clothing, and spend more time on the ground, according to The Bugman Richard Fagerlund in his Pesticide in the U.S. report.

If something must be done about an unpleasant infestation, look for least- toxic alternatives which are much safer for you, your family, and children in your care.

There are all kinds of insects in our environment and I try to live and let live. I'd rather have some bugs crawling on my kids than expose them to poison. In fact, learning about bugs can be a great summer activity for kids.

The Bugman answers reader questions in a syndicated column that appears in many newspapers. Reading his online article entitled Before you pick up the Bug Spray, Read This, I was particularly struck by these statements:

If the EPA registers a pesticide, it is legal to use, but it may not be safe. In fact, it is illegal for a manufacturer or a pesticide applicator to imply that a pesticide is safe, harmless or non-toxic to humans and pets, even if used according to label directions. If a pest control company representative tells you the pesticides they use are “safe”, they are violating the law.

When necessary, bait stations are a much safer alternative to spraying, which should be avoided, especially indoors.


Last updated 6 July 2011

Posted on 2011-06-23 02:21:15

Top