Tax preparation for daycare providers About Family Child Care Taxes Payroll Service for child care providers Tax Tips Blog Make Payments Tax Tips en espaŮol Contact Us

Depreciation Schedules
What they are and why you need them

"Depreciation" is a big word that intimidates many taxpayers, but it's really a simple concept. Read the rest of this article for a detailed explanation.

Be sure that depreciation schedules are provided with the tax return copy you keep for your records. These schedules document current and prior year depreciation deducted on your tax return. They might be called depreciation "worksheets" or "detail" or something else. Just make sure that whatever you have shows information similar to what is included on my sample depreciation schedule, such as cost of items depreciated, date acquired, depreciation taken, method of depreciation, etc.

Because depreciation schedules are not submitted to the IRS with your tax return, tax preparers are not required to give copies to you either, though they are crucial documentation for you to have. Form 4562 will be attached to your tax return every time you start depreciating a new asset, but the prior year information will be lost without the depreciation schedule detail.

Ask about depreciation schedules when you agree to work with a particular tax preparer. Make sure that all the schedules (both for regular tax and alternative minimum tax* purposes) will be included with your copy of the tax return. If not, find someone else to work with.

This is a strong suggestion, but having the depreciation schedules in your possession is very important. Certain tax professionals go so far as to consider them privileged work papers and will not share the information, even upon request. Many others don't print them out of habit, to save paper, or because they know it will be harder for you to switch preparers without them. Either way, you lose.


All businesses, including home daycare businesses, have depreciable business assets, meaning things you buy to use in your business that last more than one year.

A family child care business also has many depreciable personal assets that are used partially for business purposes. This category includes furniture, kitchenware, window coverings, room decorations, linens, appliances, electronics, etc.

Items are called "depreciable" because the cost of such items cannot necessarily be deducted fully on your tax return. You may be able to deduct 100% of the cost using the Section 179 Expense Election, but the normal procedure is to write such things off (depreciate them) over about 7 years. The number of years will vary with the type of asset.

Take depreciation on your home, if you own it. This will be your biggest depreciable asset--the building value, anyway. You must allocate some of the cost of your home to land value, which cannot be depreciated. Building value for a home day care, after applying your time/space percentage, is written off over 39 years. You start with an overall property value that is either the purchase price of the property or the fair market value on your first day of business, whichever is lower.

I hope the idea of depreciation makes a little bit of sense now. The question is, if you pull out last year's income tax return, will you find a page or pages that contain the kind of information shown on my sample depreciation schedule? (The format will vary.) Can't find it? You are not alone!

I am very disappointed by the fact that many of the new clients I meet with do not have their prior year depreciation schedules. It is a simple matter for tax preparers to provide these schedules with your copy of the tax return, so make sure that they do! Otherwise, you will not have all the data you need to understand your tax return or to explain your depreciation deduction to an auditor.

You will also have a problem if you decide to change tax preparers. You will have to go back to your old preparer and request the schedules. In many cases, this means waiting a long time and making mulitple requests before you finally get something. Some tax preparers never turn over the information. One client of mine went down to her former tax preparer's office and staged a sit-in. She said she would make herself at home until she got the depreciation schedules. When she put it that way, the tax preparer finally handed them over.

When new clients cannot get their hands on their depreciation schedules, I am forced to guess at what has been depreciated over the years. There is a lot of information that needs to be reconstructed, especially if the provider has been in business for a long time. Look at this sample depreciation schedule and see what I mean. The schedules provide a description of each asset, the date of first business use, the method of depreciation, the number of years the depreciation will last, and how much depreciation has been taken so far.

In addition to a regular federal depreciation schedule, your records should include a federal alternative minimum tax* schedule. If you live in California, you also need a regular state depreciation schedule and a state alternative minimum tax schedule. Many states have depreciation rules that do not match federal rules. When I reconstruct prior year depreciation, I have to reconstruct all four of these schedules. This is time consuming. New clients usually end up pestering their prior tax preparer for the information, even though it's the last thing they want to do.

Be sure your income tax return has all the depreciation schedules! Work only with tax professionals who include the schedules with your tax return every year.

P.S. I was quite surprised at the wide variety of feedback I received from other tax professionals when I brought this issue to the attention of TaxMama Eva Rosenberg a few years ago. Eva, herself, along with several of her readers were supportive and agreed that depreciation schedules should be included with the client's copy of the tax return. This is not required, however, and there are some tax pros who beg to differ and actually consider the schedules to be their own private work papers. This sounds like legal hair splitting to me, but whatever it is, you end up with incomplete records.

I firmly believe that you must have depreciation schedules for your records to be complete and to protect yourself in case of audit, in case you want to change preparers, and simply to understand and review what's being reported on your tax return. Do not count on your tax preparer being able and willing to give you the information at some later date.


*Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT) is an annoying fact of life. It is an alternate way to calculate your income tax. A good percentage of taxpayers actually have to pay some AMT every year, though many do not, and I rarely see child care providers paying it. Nevertheless, you have to do the AMT calculation every year and AMT has different depreciation rules, which means you need a separate AMT depreciation schedule.

Last updated 10 August 2013

Bookmark and Share

Posted on 2010-02-25 07:14:48

Most Employees are Subject to Overtime Rules

Do you have an employee claiming complete exemption from income tax withholding?

California Paid Sick Leave

FCC Payroll Late Reporting

IRS Relaxes Rules Regarding Depreciable Property

California is Still a FUTA Credit Reduction State

Child Care Business Liability Insurance is a Must

Minimum Wage Laws in California

Are Holiday and/or Vacation Pay Required?

Small Business Health Care Tax Credit

ObamaCare: Health Coverage Info for Employees

Here Comes Healthcare Reform

The Redleaf Complete Forms Kit on CD

Saving for Retirement with a SIMPLE IRA

Hiring and sometimes, unfortunately.....Firing

A helpful Hiring Guide for California child care providers

Tax rates were scheduled to rise for all taxpayers on January 1, 2013 . . .

Franchise Tax Board backtracks on property tax initiative

An easy way to pay California use tax?

Is a tax id number is needed to claim the Dependent Care Credit?

Hardship prevents some parents from paying their bill

How long should you save tax records?

Giving Gifts to Employees

Keep Track of Your Use Tax Purchases

The Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction is a Wonderful Thing!

A New Barrage of Fake IRS Emails with Dangerous Links

Her Employee Just Got Married

Catching Up on Missed Home Depreciation

DayCare Providers: Should you set your business up as an LLC?

The Importance of Good Record Keeping

Are my education costs deductible? Can I count the class and homework time?

How much of this provider's cable/internet/phone service is deductible?

Provider's teenage children work in her business

Are his fiancee's property taxes an allowable business expense?

What is the cost of two part-time employees?

Summertime = Fix Up Time

Pesticides Are Poison

California Requirement: High income businesses must pay "use tax" online

Daycare worker wants to be an independent contractor

Child Care Provider's Own Children

Child care provider shocked at what she owes

Make Estimated Tax Payments Your First Priority

Protect Yourself from Calamity

Think it won't matter that much if you treat your worker as an independent contractor instead of an employee?

Treating your assistants as proper employees

Is the care provider's tax id needed for dependent care benefit plan participation?

CA Providers: Pay your workers more than once per month

Must daycare providers pay back their First-Time Homebuyer Credit?

Bonus Depreciation Rule extended for 2010

Tax Services

Foreclosures and Cancellation of Debt

FCC Payroll Account Set Up

Mother wants to claim the dependent care credit

Provider's income seems too low

How Much Will an Employee Cost You?

Employee transitioning to day care

Swapping free rent for child care help?

The Food Program Gives You Extra Income

Running a daycare business out of two homes?

What is my total out-of-pocket expense for wages of $500 per week?

2010 Federal HIRE Act

Low profit leads to trouble getting a bank loan

Should you do anything with personal grocery receipts?

Is Your Tax Preparer Familiar with Child Care Tax Rules?

Always Deduct Home Depreciation

Depreciation Schedules

The Time/Space Percentage May Not Be Right for Every Home Deduction

Why Don't You Ask for Outside Space Measurements?

Gifts for Volunteer Helpers?

Meal Rates Also Apply to Restaurant Meals

Here's how to request a child care provider's tax id number

What to do if a parent gives you a 1099

The Business % on Form 8829 Affects Many Day Care Business Expenses

An Exclusive-Use Room Will Increase Your Business Percentage

Energy Credit Limitation Will Affect Child Care Providers

A child care provider is concerned for a colleague with family helpers

Child Care Business Education Resources

Alison hears from a child care helper being treated as an independent contractor

How to Promote Your Business During a Recession

Should this parent give her child care provider a 1099 or a W-2?

IRS Reminds Car Shoppers about 2009 Tax Break

Advice for Out-of-State Daycare Provider

Can I write off a large vehicle as a business expense?

Question about categorizing shopping receipts

Ever Wonder if Your Microwave Oven Leaks Radiation?

Ignore Phony Social Security Administration E-Mails

FCC Payroll Service: Full Service at a Low Cost

Protect Children from the Dangers of Cell Phones

Want a Website Someday?

Hosting a Holiday Party for Business Purposes?

1099 Child Care Helpers Are Rare

Quarterly Estimated Tax Payment Due Dates

Make Estimated Tax Payments

Providers who are not licensed may miss out on the home expense deduction

Meal rates set in July are used to calculate food deductions for the following year

Visa holder wants to start a family child care

First-Time Homebuyer Credit

Cash for Clunkers signed into law on June 24, 2009

Making Work Pay Credit

Unemployment Benefits May Be Tax-Free in 2009

American Opportunity Tax Credit

Deduction for Sales Tax on New Motor Vehicles

Certain Family Employees = Lower Payroll Taxes

Required Minimum Distributions Waived for 2009

Energy Credit for Home Improvements

Energy Credit for Solar Property

What's the best software for our daycare business?

How should providers go about getting health insurance coverage?

Can providers write off payments to child helpers?

Wife earned $1,325 caring for children in 2008

Alison answers Michael Finney's childcare tax questions on "The View from the Bay"

How does this babysitter file her taxes without a W-2 or 1099?

Can I deduct the cost of items purchased before I got my license?

How do child care partners split the home deductions?

More than one car and other business auto concerns

Do I have to give out my tax id number and/or a total to parents?

Obtaining workers' compensation coverage

Give your Tax ID Number to Parents using Form W-10

Should I file separately from my spouse?

1099-MISC Forms are a Snap to Prepare

Aren't 1099-MISC forms due by January 31?

Workers' Compensation Insurance

Beware of Your Rights Before the IRS

Standard Mileage Rates for 2006 through 2018

Respond Quickly to IRS Notices

Child Care Providers Should Take a Home Inventory

Gifts From Parents May Be Taxable Income

Child Care Business Licenses

Child Care Workers are Almost Always Employees

Retirement Plan and IRA Contribution Limits

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Track Child Care Work Hours in the Home

Standard Meal Rates for Family Child Care Providers

Standard Meal Rates for Residents of Alaska

Standard Meal Rates for Residents of Hawaii

Summer 2008 Quick Tax Tips

Do You Have Debt Forgiveness?

Federal Housing Bill Passes on June 30, 2008

New Rule Will Result in More Taxable Home Sales

Take Advantage of Tax Savings in a Down Market

Converting a Traditional IRA to a Roth?

Health Savings Account Contribution Limits

My Letter to New Family Child Care Providers

IRS Rebate Payment Schedule Available

What About Giving 1099s for Household Services?

How to Find a Tax Preparer

Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Government Loses Billions as Sole Proprietors Underreport Their Income

Daycare Providers: Should You Incorporate?

Lessons in Back-to-School Tax Breaks

Child Care Tax Return Checklist

Child Care Providers and other Sole Proprietors: Get an EIN

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Here's a Tip: All Tips Are Taxable

Plan Now, Avoid High Taxes Later

E-mails From the IRS? Be Skeptical

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Payroll Tax Guide for Daycare Providers and Other Small Business Owners

When an Employer Pays 100% of Payroll Taxes

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Tax Realities of Renting Your Vacation Home

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Protect Your Charitable Deductions

Special Needs = Special Tax Awareness

Educator Expense Deduction Still Available for 2013

Family Child Care Provider Fights Back in IRS Audit

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Careful Recordkeeping = Big Tax Deductions

California State Disability Insurance Rates

Receipts Now Required for All Charitable Contributions

Family Child Care Taxes - Frequently Asked Questions

Tom Copeland Bio and Contact info
Tom Copeland is the nation's leading trainer, author, and advocate of business practices for family child care providers.
National Association for Family Child Care (NAFCC)
NAFCC 2011 Annual Conference
July 21-23, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
California Association for Family Child Care (CAFCC)

CAFCC 2011 Annual Conference
April 29-May 1, 2011
at the Embassy Suites
Milpitas, Silicon Valley

Community Child Care Coordinating (4C's) of Alameda County
Salvation Army Charitable Goods Valuation Guide
Franchise Tax Board Forms & Publications
IRS Forms and Publications
NAEA Tax Links
All State Tax Links
NATP Tax Links
Resources for Child Caring (formerly the Redleaf National Institute)
Internal Revenue Service
California Franchise Tax Board
Bay Area Cajun Zydeco Dance Calendar


© 2010, All Rights Reserved Alison T. Jacks / Family Child Care Taxes

Alison T. Jacks is an Enrolled Agent specializing in tax preparation and payroll services for California family child care providers. A graduate of the University of California, Berkeley, she is dedicated to effective client communication and attention to detail. Alison has a diverse clientele, but since 2007, she has been accepting child care provider clients only. The FCC Payroll Service was launched in 2010 to meet the needs of preschool and day care employers.

Alison is located in San Francisco East Bay City of Fremont, but she works with clients living throughout Central, Southern, and Northern California. She is a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals.

Our Privacy Policy

Website by Cooksey-Talbott Studio.

Special thanks to Cooksey-Talbott for his photographs of the Fremont Hills.