Tax preparation for daycare providers About Family Child Care Taxes Payroll Service for child care providers Tax Tips Blog Make Payments Tax Tips en espaŮol Contact Us

Daycare Providers: Should You Incorporate?
There are some huge drawbacks, so consider your options carefully.

Are you a day care provider considering incorporating your business for increased liability protection? If so, please review the following two-part discussion of this topic by Tom Copeland. Once you do, I think you see that the increased costs to you, and especially the loss of your home-related expenses as a deduction on Form 8829, Expenses for Business Use of Your Home, are huge drawbacks. If you decide to proceed with incorporation, get the advice of a tax professional and a legal professional well versed in the business of family child care. Note that I do not recommend setting up a family child care business as a partnership either.

A Limited Liability Company (LLC) is another business entity available to child care providers, though the amount of such additional liability protection provided by an LLC is unclear, as Tom explains below. Still, I believe an LLC is a better and simpler option than incorporating, as long as it's set up to have only a single member. Do not make your spouse or anyone else a member. That way you can remain a sole proprietor for income tax purposes.

Spouses looking for the best way to operate a home child care together will find that it is cheapest and simplest to have one spouse act as the owner and hire the other spouse. This arrangement may even make it possible to deduct your entire family's medical costs as a business expense by setting up a medical reimbursement plan as an employee benefit.


For a more recent discussion of incorporation, see Tom Copeland's article entitled Should You Incorporate Your Family Child Care Business?

August 2007
Tom Copeland Tax Preparer Update


I attended a roundtable meeting this week sponsored by the IRS and spoke with an attorney who assists with businesses who want to incorporate. He told me that all family child care providers should be incorporated, a sentiment that I have heard repeated by other attorneys.

Is this good advice?

Providers do get some personal liability protection if they incorporate, but incorporation does not protect business assets. In a typical situation, a provider might have a Time-Space Percentage of 40%, which means that 40% of their home is not protected if they incorporate. (The same would go for all household furniture and appliances.) When I pointed this out, the lawyer responded that a provider could have their corporation pay the provider rent and thus shield their home from a lawsuit.

This answer brings up a problem I see in the general discussion of whether or not it makes sense for a provider to incorporate. Lawyers understand the legal implications of incorporating, but not necessarily the tax consequences. Tax professionals understand the tax consequences of incorporating, but not necessarily the legal issues.

In this case, the lawyer doesn't realize that it will cost the provider more money if her corporation pays her rent. Let's look at an example.

Let's say that a provider who is a sole proprietor has $30,000 of Schedule C income and $15,000 of Schedule C deductions (food, toys, supplies, etc.). She is also entitled to deduct $5,000 of house related expenses on her Form 8829. Her total business expenses are therefore $20,000, and her Schedule C profit is $10,000. If she is in the 30% tax bracket (15% federal income tax and 15% Social Security tax), her taxes are $3,000 and her take home pay is $7,000.

Now, what happens if she incorporates and the corporation pays $5,000 rent to her and deducts this rent as a business expense? The corporation still has $20,000 of expenses, and if all the profit is reported by the provider as income, the provider still ends up with $7,000 at the end of the year. But now she must report $5,000 as income on Schedule E and pay 15% federal income tax (or $750) on this amount. So it has cost the provider $750 to pay herself rent.

Note: The provider can't claim any home office deductions as an employee of the corporation if she is not using any rooms on an "exclusive" basis for her landlord business. Only family child care providers can use the "regular use" test when deducting expenses for using their home in a business. If the provider was using one or more rooms in her home exclusively for her business, then she would be limited to deducting only the business portion of her mortgage interest and property taxes. Such home office expenses would be taken as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A. [Note from Alison: Tom admits this is incorrect in Part Two below. Even home-related expenses for exclusive-use rooms are lost.]

In this example, we have left out the possible tax benefits of incorporating and shielding some of the income from Social Security taxes. But these tax benefits are not automatic and carry with them their own costs (higher tax preparation fees for a corporation). Incorporating also carries other costs (fees to incorporate, possible annual corporate fees, workers' compensation, etc.).

In summary, whether to incorporate or not is a complicated question that needs the input from both a lawyer and a tax professional.


September 2007
Tom Copeland Tax Preparer Update


Following my last month's email update on incorporation, I received several comments from tax professionals that I want to respond to:

Tom Jemison, an Enrolled Agent in California, wrote, "I think the home office deductions are even worse than what you spelled out. If an employer (the corporation) pays rent for a portion of an employee's (provider's) residence, the employee is not allowed the corresponding deduction for business use of the home - period [IRC 280(A)(c)(6)]. That means not even for an exclusive use area. This comes up a lot for small non-provider corps."

This is true, and my previous email was not accurate on this point. When an employee rents her home to her employer, the employee (family child care provider) cannot claim any home office deduction on Schedule E (or Form 8829), even if the provider is using one or more rooms in her home exclusively for business. The homeowner can still claim mortgage interest and property taxes on Schedule A. The only time a person can claim home office expenses on Schedule E is when the homeowner is renting her home to someone who is not her employer.

Tom also pointed out that there is a tax benefit for a C-Corporation paying rent to a family child care provider employee. Although there is no home office deduction benefit, there is the tax benefit of moving income to a Schedule E where no payroll taxes are paid. This benefit may be offset some by the lower Social Security earnings for a provider.

Several tax professionals commented that family child care providers could set up a single person LLC (Limited Liability Company) to reduce their personal liability. The advantages of an LLC are that the provider can still file Form 8829 and claim all of the regular home office expenses in the same way that a sole proprietor can. In fact, the tax return of a single person LLC looks no different than a sole proprietor. Therefore, there would be no need for the corporation to pay rent to the provider.

However, although it's probably the least complicated of all corporation entities, there are some drawbacks of a single person LLC. Most states charge annual fees for an LLC; a lawyer should be consulted to set up an LLC properly; the business formalities of an LLC must be followed; and business and personal records must be kept separate.

The biggest benefit of an LLC is the potential for additional personal liability protection. After consulting with other lawyers on this point, I am somewhat skeptical that this is true to the extent that providers may think. The LLC is a relatively new business entity, and we don't have much in the way of court rulings to determine how well it will protect the owner. The part of the home that is used for business purposes would not be protected from a lawsuit; the same is true for furniture and appliances used in the business. Because many providers struggle to keep business records in a professional manner, I am also concerned that those who form an LLC would fail to follow all of the record keeping requirements of an LLC and therefore would risk losing the corporate protection in a lawsuit.

My advice is for providers to purchase a lot of professional business liability insurance (at least $1 million per occurrence and $2 million aggregate). Although an LLC may indeed provide some additional personal liability protection, I don't believe it is a simple solution to this problem.

Last updated: 26 September 2011

Bookmark and Share

Posted on 2007-09-28 20:47:43

Most Employees are Subject to Overtime Rules

Do you have an employee claiming complete exemption from income tax withholding?

California Paid Sick Leave

FCC Payroll Late Reporting

IRS Relaxes Rules Regarding Depreciable Property

California is Still a FUTA Credit Reduction State

Child Care Business Liability Insurance is a Must

Minimum Wage Laws in California

Are Holiday and/or Vacation Pay Required?

Small Business Health Care Tax Credit

ObamaCare: Health Coverage Info for Employees

Here Comes Healthcare Reform

The Redleaf Complete Forms Kit on CD

Saving for Retirement with a SIMPLE IRA

Hiring and sometimes, unfortunately.....Firing

A helpful Hiring Guide for California child care providers

Tax rates were scheduled to rise for all taxpayers on January 1, 2013 . . .

Franchise Tax Board backtracks on property tax initiative

An easy way to pay California use tax?

Is a tax id number is needed to claim the Dependent Care Credit?

Hardship prevents some parents from paying their bill

How long should you save tax records?

Giving Gifts to Employees

Keep Track of Your Use Tax Purchases

The Self-Employed Health Insurance Deduction is a Wonderful Thing!

A New Barrage of Fake IRS Emails with Dangerous Links

Her Employee Just Got Married

Catching Up on Missed Home Depreciation

DayCare Providers: Should you set your business up as an LLC?

The Importance of Good Record Keeping

Are my education costs deductible? Can I count the class and homework time?

How much of this provider's cable/internet/phone service is deductible?

Provider's teenage children work in her business

Are his fiancee's property taxes an allowable business expense?

What is the cost of two part-time employees?

Summertime = Fix Up Time

Pesticides Are Poison

California Requirement: High income businesses must pay "use tax" online

Daycare worker wants to be an independent contractor

Child Care Provider's Own Children

Child care provider shocked at what she owes

Make Estimated Tax Payments Your First Priority

Protect Yourself from Calamity

Think it won't matter that much if you treat your worker as an independent contractor instead of an employee?

Treating your assistants as proper employees

Is the care provider's tax id needed for dependent care benefit plan participation?

CA Providers: Pay your workers more than once per month

Must daycare providers pay back their First-Time Homebuyer Credit?

Bonus Depreciation Rule extended for 2010

Tax Services

Foreclosures and Cancellation of Debt

FCC Payroll Account Set Up

Mother wants to claim the dependent care credit

Provider's income seems too low

How Much Will an Employee Cost You?

Employee transitioning to day care

Swapping free rent for child care help?

The Food Program Gives You Extra Income

Running a daycare business out of two homes?

What is my total out-of-pocket expense for wages of $500 per week?

2010 Federal HIRE Act

Low profit leads to trouble getting a bank loan

Should you do anything with personal grocery receipts?

Is Your Tax Preparer Familiar with Child Care Tax Rules?

Always Deduct Home Depreciation

Depreciation Schedules

The Time/Space Percentage May Not Be Right for Every Home Deduction

Why Don't You Ask for Outside Space Measurements?

Gifts for Volunteer Helpers?

Meal Rates Also Apply to Restaurant Meals

Here's how to request a child care provider's tax id number

What to do if a parent gives you a 1099

The Business % on Form 8829 Affects Many Day Care Business Expenses

An Exclusive-Use Room Will Increase Your Business Percentage

Energy Credit Limitation Will Affect Child Care Providers

A child care provider is concerned for a colleague with family helpers

Child Care Business Education Resources

Alison hears from a child care helper being treated as an independent contractor

How to Promote Your Business During a Recession

Should this parent give her child care provider a 1099 or a W-2?

IRS Reminds Car Shoppers about 2009 Tax Break

Advice for Out-of-State Daycare Provider

Can I write off a large vehicle as a business expense?

Question about categorizing shopping receipts

Ever Wonder if Your Microwave Oven Leaks Radiation?

Ignore Phony Social Security Administration E-Mails

FCC Payroll Service: Full Service at a Low Cost

Protect Children from the Dangers of Cell Phones

Want a Website Someday?

Hosting a Holiday Party for Business Purposes?

1099 Child Care Helpers Are Rare

Quarterly Estimated Tax Payment Due Dates

Make Estimated Tax Payments

Providers who are not licensed may miss out on the home expense deduction

Meal rates set in July are used to calculate food deductions for the following year

Visa holder wants to start a family child care

First-Time Homebuyer Credit

Cash for Clunkers signed into law on June 24, 2009

Making Work Pay Credit

Unemployment Benefits May Be Tax-Free in 2009

American Opportunity Tax Credit

Deduction for Sales Tax on New Motor Vehicles

Certain Family Employees = Lower Payroll Taxes

Required Minimum Distributions Waived for 2009

Energy Credit for Home Improvements

Energy Credit for Solar Property

What's the best software for our daycare business?

How should providers go about getting health insurance coverage?

Can providers write off payments to child helpers?

Wife earned $1,325 caring for children in 2008

Alison answers Michael Finney's childcare tax questions on "The View from the Bay"

How does this babysitter file her taxes without a W-2 or 1099?

Can I deduct the cost of items purchased before I got my license?

How do child care partners split the home deductions?

More than one car and other business auto concerns

Do I have to give out my tax id number and/or a total to parents?

Obtaining workers' compensation coverage

Give your Tax ID Number to Parents using Form W-10

Should I file separately from my spouse?

1099-MISC Forms are a Snap to Prepare

Aren't 1099-MISC forms due by January 31?

Workers' Compensation Insurance

Beware of Your Rights Before the IRS

Standard Mileage Rates for 2006 through 2018

Respond Quickly to IRS Notices

Child Care Providers Should Take a Home Inventory

Gifts From Parents May Be Taxable Income

Child Care Business Licenses

Child Care Workers are Almost Always Employees

Retirement Plan and IRA Contribution Limits

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Track Child Care Work Hours in the Home

Standard Meal Rates for Family Child Care Providers

Standard Meal Rates for Residents of Alaska

Standard Meal Rates for Residents of Hawaii

Summer 2008 Quick Tax Tips

Do You Have Debt Forgiveness?

Federal Housing Bill Passes on June 30, 2008

New Rule Will Result in More Taxable Home Sales

Take Advantage of Tax Savings in a Down Market

Converting a Traditional IRA to a Roth?

Health Savings Account Contribution Limits

My Letter to New Family Child Care Providers

IRS Rebate Payment Schedule Available

What About Giving 1099s for Household Services?

How to Find a Tax Preparer

Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Government Loses Billions as Sole Proprietors Underreport Their Income

Daycare Providers: Should You Incorporate?

Lessons in Back-to-School Tax Breaks

Child Care Tax Return Checklist

Child Care Providers and other Sole Proprietors: Get an EIN

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Here's a Tip: All Tips Are Taxable

Plan Now, Avoid High Taxes Later

E-mails From the IRS? Be Skeptical

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Payroll Tax Guide for Daycare Providers and Other Small Business Owners

When an Employer Pays 100% of Payroll Taxes

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Tax Realities of Renting Your Vacation Home

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Protect Your Charitable Deductions

Special Needs = Special Tax Awareness

Educator Expense Deduction Still Available for 2013

Family Child Care Provider Fights Back in IRS Audit

A Tom Copeland Daycare Tax Tip

Careful Recordkeeping = Big Tax Deductions

California State Disability Insurance Rates

Receipts Now Required for All Charitable Contributions

Family Child Care Taxes - Frequently Asked Questions

Tom Copeland Bio and Contact info
Tom Copeland is the nation's leading trainer, author, and advocate of business practices for family child care providers.
National Association for Family Child Care (NAFCC)
NAFCC 2011 Annual Conference
July 21-23, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
California Association for Family Child Care (CAFCC)

CAFCC 2011 Annual Conference
April 29-May 1, 2011
at the Embassy Suites
Milpitas, Silicon Valley

Community Child Care Coordinating (4C's) of Alameda County
Salvation Army Charitable Goods Valuation Guide
Franchise Tax Board Forms & Publications
IRS Forms and Publications
NAEA Tax Links
All State Tax Links
NATP Tax Links
Resources for Child Caring (formerly the Redleaf National Institute)
Internal Revenue Service
California Franchise Tax Board
Bay Area Cajun Zydeco Dance Calendar


© 2010, All Rights Reserved Alison T. Jacks / Family Child Care Taxes

Alison T. Jacks is an Enrolled Agent specializing in tax preparation and payroll services for California family child care providers. A graduate of the University of California, Berkeley, she is dedicated to effective client communication and attention to detail. Alison has a diverse clientele, but since 2007, she has been accepting child care provider clients only. The FCC Payroll Service was launched in 2010 to meet the needs of preschool and day care employers.

Alison is located in San Francisco East Bay City of Fremont, but she works with clients living throughout Central, Southern, and Northern California. She is a member of the National Association of Tax Professionals.

Our Privacy Policy

Website by Cooksey-Talbott Studio.

Special thanks to Cooksey-Talbott for his photographs of the Fremont Hills.